Why It’s Important to Be Thankful This Holiday Season
Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the United States so I felt that it was appropriate to address the subject of gratitude – especially if you find yourself single and on the hunt for love. At Bowes-Lyon Partnership, we believe that being thankful is one of the keys to relationship success! The holiday season is known for being a difficult time of year for singles, and we realise that Christmas and New Year’s can be downright depressing – but they don’t have to be!
It may seem like a no-brainer, but if you’re trying to attract ‘the one’ you will be much more successful in your endeavour if you’re satisfied with your life and operating from a ‘glass is half-full’ mentality. Think about it, if you spend all of December with a frown on your face and if all of your breaths go towards complaining about how awful it is to be single this time of year, you aren’t exactly going to be the epitome of beauty to the opposite sex – and even more tragically, you’re going to have a miserable month! I’m not saying that you need to pretend that everything is perfect, but whilst going through the dating process, it’s imperative that you appreciate the fullness of your life even though you have yet to find love.
To get a bit scientific on you, the Law of Attraction clearly states that like attracts like, therefore if you are a positive person and grateful for the goodies in your life right now, you are much more likely to find that special person who also appreciates life and will cherish you every day. We need to learn to shift our focus to what is already bountiful! Make sense?!
Here’s a few simple steps for beating the holiday blues and opening your eyes to the good stuff that is already present in your life!
- Gratitude List. It may sounds cheesy, but it’s a useful tool to remind yourself about what you already have. Make a list of the top ten things you’re grateful for and read it a few times each week as a bit of a reminder.
- Plan a few holiday outings with friends and really get into the spirit like you did when you were a child. You’d be surprised how contagious the festive vibe can be if you put yourself out there (especially after a few glasses of mulled wine!).
- Remember that your life doesn’t start when you find ‘the one’. Life is happening right now! Why not enjoy it instead of waiting to be happy?
- Ask yourself if you’d want to date you. If the answer is ‘No’ then honestly reevaluate your life, perspective and attitude, and then make the appropriate adjustments.
- Surround yourself with positive, happy people not the chronic downers! Remember, like attracts like!
Now turn that frown upside-down and focus on the everything you have to be thankful for this holiday season!