What’s the Recipe for a Relaxed First Date?
Two of our newest members made us proud this week when they decided to take advantage of one of their common interests on their first date: their dogs. Instead of the normal drinks after work at a London bar, they chose to do something different and go on a dog walk together in Richmond Park! Why is this such a brilliant idea? Well, to put it simply, it takes the pressure off yet still allows you to connect.
On a first date, you should, of course, get to know someone, but if there’s another element to the date (for example, a pet) then there’s bound to be something else to focus on which can help calm your nerves and encourage the conversation along naturally. It’s wise to think outside the box and plan a date that involves something other than the two of you sitting across the table in a bar that’s extraordinarily loud and too dark to form a meaningful connection.
Here are a few first-date ideas that stray a bit from the norm:
- Market. Whether you choose Borough Market for some delicious food, Portobello Road Market for trinket shopping, or Columbia Road Flower Market – you’re bound to have a lovely time! (Hint: Gentlemen, you are welcome to buy your date a flower or two if you end up at Columbia Road!)
- Exhibition. Most of us can appreciate the galleries and exhibitions around London even if we aren’t fanatical about the Arts. If nothing else, make a game out of it and tell your date what each painting/piece of work is ‘saying’ to you; don’t take yourself too seriously!
- Stroll. With temperatures climbing this weekend, I daresay that spring may be on its way! Warmer weather is the perfect excuse for an outdoor date! Take advantage of London’s gorgeous parks and scenery in every corner of the city.
- Sporting Event. Now keep in mind I’m not referring to a boxing match or anything too heavy here. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a first date at Wimbledon though? You could watch tennis, eat strawberries and cream, drink Pimms, and hopefully chat with someone wonderful at the same time!
- Comedy Show. I’ve often thought this would be the best first date as you’re guaranteed a laugh even if your date ends up being boring! It’s also a great opportunity to see what sort of sense of humour someone has straight away!